Thursday, May 16, 2013

Honey, I'm Home!

This is what my computer said to me yesterday after I brought her home!!  My thanks to Bobby at F1 for taking her home and fixing her up!  It was a long, long wait however and quite a quest yesterday to find the other office where he was working to pick it up.  (Ok, it's an it, but I love it and was lost without it/her)

With Bobby's limited English skills and my non existent Russian, it was a long afternoon of me finding my way to where he was.  First I thought he was at the close location where I originally met him working,  but it was not that easy.  He texted me the name of the metro station and first I said no I don't think so, you bring it to me.  He was working days, and I was scheduled to start back to work after our break this evening....

I finally thought, I'll find you and my computer!  Hey, I just traveled alone for 6 days, I can manage.  So I told him, ok, I'm on my way and I'll call you when I get to the metro.  It's a straight shot, but about 10 stations down.....So once there I showed the address to a couple people. One young man didn't know, but he did speak English.  A middle aged lady selling plants, though she didn't speak English, wrote  down for me a marshutka number and wrote where I should get off.

I called Bobby and asked him how to get there.... He told me a different marshutka number (550) and to get off at the 5th stop.  Of course, initially I was at the wrong stop, when I finally asked a teen who pointed out the way to the correct place.  I went there and waited and waited, texted Bobby...it's still not here.  I then got on the 550 and he texted me back to take the 477...... lol.  I counted the stops and got off.  Then I called him.  He said, good, I am close, wait there.  I am coming with your computer.....I was soooo excited!!!! Just like a long lost friend I've been missing, can't wait!!!!

No sign of him..... a few minutes later he calls me, saying I'm here and I don't see you... He asked me where are you?  I laugh and say, I have no idea where I am..... I counted 5 stops and got off...here, let me ask this man standing next to me to talk to you..... they chat...Bobby tells me to go with this guy on the 22 trolley and it should be 2 stops... Ok great... The guy asks me if I speak French...of course not.... English?  No, but he helps me to the trolley, and when we get to the second stop, I ask this one?  No, he nods, but just then Bobby is leaning in the trolley, Joanne! here, get off.....

Ah, what an adventure...... I laughed that he had seen me and told him the guy said no not yet.... lol.  He showed me my computer, all fixed, etc... And I thanked him and we laughed and laughed about my trying to find the place!  I got to see a new part of Kiev I hadn't seen before... He walked me across the underground walkway to the other side and said get on the 550 and go go go.......You will find your way:)  I always do...

No comments:

Post a Comment