Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wawel Castle-May 7th

What a gorgeous place right in the center of the city, an ancient fortress!  I spent several hours today wandering around the grounds, as well as a tour of the rooms, armory and an exhibit about restoration of some of the detailed carvings, architecture and even ornate furnaces.

One of the rooms on the tour has heads carved into the ceiling!  No photos allowed inside, but suffice it to say the detailed ornate art work that was overhead in every room was beyond words.  The room with the heads has first of all, mini frames extending down and a carved head in each, facing downward.  There really should be mats for hire and you could just lie down and admire the art!

The armory was really fascinating (who woulda thought that for a woman?  not me...) but since I have become a die hard Game of Thrones  groupie, I couldn't miss it!  Unbelievable, the detail work on a sword..... a weapon that was really a work of art!  The armor, breast plates, swords, helmets and even horse armor were amazing.  I am enriched by the visit and now am really jonesing for the two episodes of my show I've missed while on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment