Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pentacost?

Having class on Friday is an odd thing for my school.  Since Sunday is a Christian holiday, which in English is called Pentacost, we held our Sunday classes this evening.  Of course, not many students showed up, this being the end of the long work week, but I was there anyway from 6-10 p.m.

I had to ask many classes of students and individuals to figure out this mysterious holiday this coming Sunday....Finally, one group of students together, chatting for several minutes, in a combination of Russian, Ukrainian and a random English word, came up with the notion of an event of the holy spirit coming into the church, and 50 days after Easter.

Armed with this information, I was able to find Pentacost as the English explanation.  As a  Unitarian Universalist, but one who does not consider myself a Christian, I had totally forgotten about this celebration of Christianity.  The word Pentacost though brings to mind the aptly named pentacostal church; one of a strict and conservative religious group.  I'm reminded about my lack of biblical and christian knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment